Maybe you’ve recently, or years ago, trusted Jesus for eternal life, and you want to follow Jesus.
What’s your next step?
For some of you, the next step is baptism.
Yet that may be a scary concept.
Yet baptism is something that has marked the response of people to Jesus for 2,000 years. And if you haven’t been baptized since you’ve trusted Jesus for eternal life, we’d love to baptize you.
So what is baptism?
Baptism is a special moment in your life and a good opportunity to share your faith in Jesus Christ with others. Baptism is reserved for those who confidently trust Jesus for the forgiveness of their sins and the gift of everlasting life in harmony with God. A believer’s water-baptism is:
- A public act of obedience to Jesus Christ (Matt. 28:19)
- A next step toward being a disciple of Jesus Christ (Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:41-42)
- A beautiful picture of the believer’s new identity in Jesus Christ (Rom. 6:3-10; Gal. 3:27)
Water baptism itself does not save the believer. Water baptism symbolizes your communion with Jesus in His death, burial and resurrection (Romans 6:14). By being baptized, you act out what God has done for you in the spiritual realm. In baptism you tell others, “I trust Jesus! I am identified with Him, holy and beloved; and I seek to walk with Jesus and live my life for Him.”
When do baptisms take place?
Several times throughout the summer, or upon request right after trusting Jesus for life.
Where do they take place?
We've done them in rivers and even indoor hotel pools.
We typically do them in backyard pools. We have a great celebration as a church followed by a cookout and pool party for the children.
What do I wear into the water?
It is recommended that you wear a swimsuit or shorts and a t-shirt. Particularly if you are female, it is important to wear a dark-colored top into the water. Bring a towel and a dry set of clothes to change into afterward.
Before you get into the water
- Pastor Steve will read a passage and discuss the significance of baptism, then enter into the water and invite you up front, one at a time.
- You will have an opportunity to share your story of trusting Jesus or to share your faith and how you came to this point of being baptized. Share the reason for your joy. Have fun. You’ll glorify God!
- After you are finished speaking, Steve will invite you into the water
After you are in the water
- Pastor will say, “Based on your faith in Jesus Christ and the testimony of God’s grace to those who believe in Him, you are forgiven your sins and granted eternal life as a child of God, therefore, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.”
- Fold your arms over your chest. You will be lowered into the water (you may plug your nose) and raised up as a symbol of your association with Jesus’ death and resurrection.
- Congratulations! You’ve taken the plunge, you've trusted and obeyed Jesus with a biblical step of discipleship following faith.